News

moodlite - Coming soon

Better diffusion

51055 · 3688

• View Profile
on: December 29, 2018, 12:46:35 PM
I'm planning to make a set of these, but am looking to improve the diffusion so the lights are less concentrated at the corners. Has anyone tried any variations on the design to do this?

I'll try lining the back with reflective film to see what that does. I'll also try lining the front with some diffusion sheet I salvaged from a large flat LED panel. They have LEDs all around the outer edge but shine evenly over their whole surface so I'm optimistic. I just need to find a source of the stuff to make more than  lights.

My new 3d printer should arrive within the week so I'll post results when they're made.

Bandanam4n

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 03:52:42 PM
Hey Man!

I'm looking to modify the design to include a backer plate (opaque with reflective film) and then add in a diffuser plate (acryllic) on top of it to get a much better diffused light.

Take a look at that!

iTrooper

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:38:02 AM
I was thinking the same in regards to some sort of diffuser that could be laser cut.

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 12:10:08 AM
Hey Man!

I'm looking to modify the design to include a backer plate (opaque with reflective film) and then add in a diffuser plate (acryllic) on top of it to get a much better diffused light.

Take a look at that!

Was thinking of using something like this on the side of the baseplate to reflect the light back up.   
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D54XMVS/ref=cm_wl_huc_continue

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:46:18 PM
Printed a "Top" in "Clear" PETg to see how it looks.

PS - Parts on order, will post results in a few days when I get everything in.

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:50:37 PM
This may be a little bit too translucent. Maybe you'll see the cables when using this.
But I am curious a about the look with that as well :-D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:52:33 PM by LordVader »

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:35:48 PM
Had another Brainiac idea.  Hopefully someone can CAD it up properly and we can test (My CAD skills blow).     I was looking at the original build of the NanoLeaf, they use a lightguide technique where they drive the light into a medium in the middle of the panel which glows.  I was thinking we could try something similar with the top panel.  If we were to basically print something directly in front of the LEDs which is attached to the top panel, hopefully it would help drive the light into the front panel and give more of a uniform glow.  I mocked up something crude in tinkercad.  This is just to give you an idea of what I was thinking, the bumps would have to be right in front of the LEDs to work best I think.    One concern there would be, how hot to the LEDs get, do we need to worry about that?

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 09:38:03 PM
This may be a little bit too translucent. Maybe you'll see the cables when using this.
But I am curious a about the look with that as well :-D

Yeah kinda thought the same, but still wanted to see how it looked.   Once I get all the other parts I'll pop it on and see what we get.

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 09:53:24 PM
I really like that you all add your ideas and try things.
This is going to be great :-D

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:02:46 PM
I've ordered some clear filament as I was thinking something similar. :-) should be here tomorrow I hope. Will cad it up tomorrow night.

Steve

Moodlite is a completely free open source project.
If however you would like to say thanks and help contribute to this site, or just buy me a beer then please donate below. :-)

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 09:15:13 PM
After putting one of these completely together, it seems the "pyramid" shape in the middle may be causing the light to drop off.  Would be interested to see if the bottom could be made completely flat.  I'm guessing it would require almost doubling the depth of the bottom piece but it may make for better light diffusion.    If someone can CAD it up, I'm happy to print and give it a try.

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 09:30:35 PM
Why do you think that it would double the bottom part?
I could remove the pyramid partfor testing.

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 09:51:31 PM
Okay, now I get your point :D

Perhaps does CdRsKuLL has a version without the pyramid. Otherwise I will go on with changing the part.

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 10:01:08 PM
Okay, now I get your point :D

Perhaps does CdRsKuLL has a version without the pyramid. Otherwise I will go on with changing the part.

LOL, yeah all the wire management is hidden under the pyramid and those servo connectors are pretty thick.  It will surely add material and print time but if it looks better, I'm all for it.   Figure we should at least test it out and see.

Maybe I will do just that.  Since I'm just testing, I'll mod it in tinkercad and rip all the guts out and print a flat bottom.  I don't have any of the connectors are this point anyway, so just for a lighting test this would work.   Will post my results in a 5-6 hours..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:02:56 PM by shfaxx »

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 03:35:19 AM
Did a quick a dirty model with a flat bottom.   The pictures really don't do it justice.  It does appear to help even out the glow across the entire panel.

NOTE:  I put tape over the tips to cool down the hotspots from the LEDs so my phone camera didn't freak out trying to adjust the exposure..   To that point would prob be good to extend the small covers in the top plate a few more mm.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:37:38 AM by shfaxx »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk