SuperDave42

• View Profile
on: February 12, 2019, 08:37:33 PM
hard to beat edge lit acrylic  8)

-Dave

NotionalLabs

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:25 PM
This is absolutely superb, I'm blown away!

How did you design and engrave the LGP pattern in the end? Also, would you be willing to share your CAD files for the tiles? Out of all the design revisions so far, yours is easily the one closest to my own ambitions for the final design.

Captain_Castaleos

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:55:59 PM
How much did it cost to produce this version?

If i remember correctly the average cost of an actual Nanoleaf is around $20 a tile, and acrylic sheets are about $13-15 for a 2' x 4' sheet. If you didn't have somewhere to buy acrylic locally and had to have it shipped to you, then the price goes up by a decent margin. Add to that the cost of filament, LEDs, wiring, the board, laser etching, and Mylar, and I get concerned that you start to draw too close to the original price of the OEM Nanoleaf itself.

I am just worried that this design draws close enough to the OEM cost that it is not worth the labor to produce. After all, the whole point of the project is to produce tiles for exponentially cheaper.

If I am wrong and this version is still cost effective to produce, do let me know.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:57:39 PM by Captain_Castaleos »

SuperDave42

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 10:28:06 PM
 8) You are totally correct.

I am just having fun building all of this with my 12 year old son, using the tools we have available.

just another project.  the value is subjective :-)

BanhammersWrath

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 11:46:31 PM

I am just having fun building all of this with my 12 year old son, using the tools we have available.

just another project.  the value is subjective :-)

That's how I went about it as well, combined the electronics I put into making mine easily passes the cost of a retail set of nanoleaf but the difference is what is hanging on my wall is something I made even if it was as much/more than the retail product.  Fun to learn, print and assemble.

SuperDave42

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 08:07:58 PM
This is absolutely superb, I'm blown away!

How did you design and engrave the LGP pattern in the end? Also, would you be willing to share your CAD files for the tiles? Out of all the design revisions so far, yours is easily the one closest to my own ambitions for the final design.

I'll post all my files once I am finished.
 8)

NotionalLabs

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: Today at 08:21:33 AM
 :) Sounds good!

In the meantime, what approach did you take to the light guide? Is it the same pattern that we discussed in the diffusion thread or something different (it's hard to tell from the photo)?

SuperDave42

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: Today at 05:50:41 PM
:) Sounds good!

In the meantime, what approach did you take to the light guide? Is it the same pattern that we discussed in the diffusion thread or something different (it's hard to tell from the photo)?

I just cut a .5mm dot into the surface and used Solidworks to pattern that dot within the triangle boundry.  Then just blasted the plate at low power to scratch the dots into it.
No special pattern density changes or anything.  just a simple pattern.

I'm not sure if I want to adjust the size of the LGP yet.   i should post the file soon.   it works great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk