News

moodlite - Coming soon

How to do triangle patterns with three edges?

justsleightly · 418

justsleightly

• View Profile
on: February 08, 2019, 02:41:20 AM
Starting my planning for my moodlite build, but after looking at the way the bases are designed, how would one go about doing a pattern with panels surrounding all three sides? That is to say, where there isn't an obvious serial path (like the center panel below).

There doesn't seem to be any space to double wires back through other panels, especially if you're running with the servo wires. Has anyone made any modifications to suit such layouts? This isn't the pattern I'm going to be doing, just an example.

galorin

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 01:43:10 PM
This is something I have been looking into myself,it would need a fair bit of modification.  Each side would need to have an "in" port and an "out" port, and you'd further need a wired cap that can go from the "out" port back to the "in" port on the same edge.  I've been tinkering with the design in Fusion 360, but haven't gotten anywhere meaningful with it.

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 07:26:49 PM
I put some thoughts in that and did a redesign of the bottom part to achieve this in an easy way. I have to try this first but when this worked out I'll post the STL of course.

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 05:38:39 PM
It can be done with the Y servo extensions I bought (cuz the price was close to the normal ones) and maybe the code can be modified but I have no idea if that is even possible since I dont know any coding

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 05:49:28 PM
Not sure if it is a code thing or a physical LED limitation.  As I understand the LEDs are serially addresses. So if you split your signal wire you cannot address both paths individually.   Iím a newb at all this too so I could be wrong.

shiryou

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:04:56 PM
thats how i understand it too, but i dont try this configuration so cant really tell something about it...

Not sure if it is a code thing or a physical LED limitation.  As I understand the LEDs are serially addresses. So if you split your signal wire you cannot address both paths individually.   Iím a newb at all this too so I could be wrong.

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 07:45:43 PM
The simplest way to go with this kind of pattern not using connectors and just using cables to connect the way you want to , just loop the cable either on the inside or use the bottom space .something like the pic , or whatever you decide upon

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 08:46:24 AM
That was my idea. I modified the bottom part to route a cable through when connecting three tiles to a tiles.

I haven't had time to print one for testing, yet. As soon as I did I will make the STL available to all of you.

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:12:12 AM
I would say just get the bottom step file and widen the existing cable guides to fit more cables. something like this:

Now that I think about it you might spend some time (more then 4min i sped to widen the guides) and make the guides as tall as the cables and lower the inside pyramid to get better diffusion too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:20:52 AM by DevilsDJ »

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 08:15:30 AM
Hi!
I did this:

This way I can use the original ways to cable everything but when I need a third connection I can achieve this by adding another cable.
I printed one of those yesterday and plan to wire it up today while another one prints.
I hope that this will work but I'm quite confident :)

justsleightly

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 09:19:13 PM
Hi!
I did this:

This way I can use the original ways to cable everything but when I need a third connection I can achieve this by adding another cable.
I printed one of those yesterday and plan to wire it up today while another one prints.
I hope that this will work but I'm quite confident :)

Having a hard time visualizing how you're using this wire configuration to go out and back in on one edge (in order to wire all LEDs in series). Have you had any luck with this yet?

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 08:36:39 AM
Hi there!
I didn't find time to do the cabling, yet. Will keep you informed as soon as I have done this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk