News

moodlite - Coming soon

New simple design

nanoleaf · 1355

nanoleaf

• View Profile
on: February 08, 2019, 05:24:14 AM
Can someone help me learn how to make new designs? I want to make a design that is just the base of the light panel. I need it just to be basically a 26 cm edge and 2cm tall triangle with walls and a small part of the corner cut out. Also I need to know how to put a hole in the middle of the wall of the triangle so I can pull wires through it. I currently have fusion 360 and made a triangle with edges of 26 cm with a 1.5mm height and don't know how to do the rest. If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:26:32 AM
Not really sure I know exactly what you mean, is the bottom meant to be 2cm and the walls above or a thinner bottom with the whole triangle being 2cm tall?
If the latter I would just make a copy of the body, reduce its scale so the difference between them is the thickness of the walls I'd like, and then combine them using the option "cut" on the larger body =).
For holes you have two options, either use the hole tool (I'm assuming you're in model mode now) or the way I prefer (just think it's easier this way):
- Create a cylinder with the dimension of the hole you want.
- Align it to the wall, you can then choose to align the center of the cylinder with the center of the wall.
- Move it through the wall along one axis.
- Combine with the option cut.

Anyways, I hope that's of some small help =).

EDIT: spelling error

nanoleaf

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 08:01:26 PM
Hey, thanks for your reply! I don't think I made myself clear, I'm not trying to use the current model with all the stuff in the base where the wires go, I just need a simple enclosure. So basically a triangle with 2cm walls.

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 08:16:12 PM
Something like this , or with edges ?

nanoleaf

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:26:21 AM
Yes! Thank you! Was it easy to make? Like something a beginner like me could do?

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:33:33 AM
Did that in like 5min or less . If you can explain exactly what you want , with the dimensions  I can make it for you

nanoleaf

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 09:52:40 AM
Basically I need a triangular base that is an equilateral triangle. 26 cm edges. Then I need walls that are 2 cm tall around the entire triangle. Where the triangle corners are cut like the images I need holes on the wall right next to it instead of in the middle of the wall. And if you could explain to me how to add and remove the holes I'd really like that cause all I need is

https://imgur.com/vxwRvIT

Where the red line is how the wiring is going. It enters right next to the cutoff triangle corner.

Thank you so much!

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 11:34:18 AM
I am still fairly new to fusion 360 myself so prob the way I do things isnt the easiest or fastest but still it does the job. I drew the triangle , drew lines on each side from the corner (measure what you need i did those 25mm on the one i showed you , then extruded that 1mm . After that do an offset on that ( i did 3.2mm inwards) raise that by 13,4mm(cuz you can do a 0,6mm top) , then do an offset on that edge (1,2mm) and raise that 5mm so you get a total of 19,4mm and when you connect the top part which  would be 0.6mm thick it will become 20mm in total.

The holes I did by just finding the center of what part you want to put a hole in and drawing a circle of the size you want the hole to be , then extruding it towards the side using the cut function.

nanoleaf

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 08:46:01 PM
How did you cut off the corners of the triangle? Or did you just draw it initially without the corners?

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 08:54:21 PM
initially without the corners

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 09:28:27 PM
First make the base figure , then offset that with the total size of the walls ( the bottom part of the wall and the one that interacts with the top part ) , extrude that , then offset that with the size of the top part of the wall that interacts with the top part and extrude that

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 09:53:28 PM
I made this , dont know if this is exactly what you need , please let me know if you need anything else or any information , glad to help

nanoleaf

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 09:53:49 PM
Thanks, will this design 3D print well? And what are the settings I should be using? This is my first 3D printing thing. I read I should use a 0.2 layer height and 10% infill. Do I need a specific print speed or is something like 50mm/s good?

Edit: Forgot to attach it sorry.

DevilsDJ

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 09:57:51 PM
Check the one I just made. Um it should print fine the one you made , but how would you connect it to the top ?

nanoleaf

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 10:08:19 PM
I'm doing a slightly different thing so I'm not using the top. I just needed a base that would basically enclose the LEDs and allow wiring in and out so I don't really need all the extra fancy stuff that holds the top or the LEDs in place.. Thank you so much for all your help, I'll 3D print it tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk