Building a Prusa MK3 Clone...

CdRsKuLL · 2474

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
on: December 30, 2018, 12:13:57 PM
So I thought I would have a go at building a Prusa mk3 clone.  You can now buy lots of parts from Ali-express and as I already have quite a few printer parts, why not give it a go. I'm lucky enough to own a Prusa mk3 and would love another...

At the moment I'm waiting on a frame and bed to arrive from China. Will post updates as the build progresses.

Spent so far..
Frame / Metal Bed / Rods 95
PSU 40
Magnetic bed 40
Spring Steel 20
LCD - Already had
Motors - Already had
Motherboard - 58
Total (so far) 253 

Steve
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:43:18 PM by CdRsKuLL »

Moodlite is a completely free open source project.
If however you would like to say thanks and help contribute to this site, or just buy me a beer then please donate below. :-)

wywywywy

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 02:46:42 PM
Wait!  Before you do, I think something like this is more up alley - https://www.reddit.com/r/voroncorexy/

The VORON is a much more sophisticated design, especially the version 2.1.  The first time you see it you'll be amazed.

I'm printing Moodlite with an old version 1.5 design at 100mm/s 3000 acceleration 20 jerk with better quality than my friend's Ender 3 at less than half the speed.  The version 2.1 can print even better.

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 02:26:09 PM
Wait!  Before you do, I think something like this is more up alley - https://www.reddit.com/r/voroncorexy/

The VORON is a much more sophisticated design, especially the version 2.1.  The first time you see it you'll be amazed.

I'm printing Moodlite with an old version 1.5 design at 100mm/s 3000 acceleration 20 jerk with better quality than my friend's Ender 3 at less than half the speed.  The version 2.1 can print even better.

Didn't see your reply until now.. that looks a very nice machine!  Maybe my next project :-) However, I've too far down the line on this one to swap.. but you can never have to many printers :-)

So... update. Yes I'm still building it and things are slowly arriving in the post so thought it was time for an update.

The Enisy Rambo board arrived, cost 58 from Aliexpress. This is the Prusa mk3 clone board with the TMC 2130 stepper drivers, so it 'should' do endless stops. I've started to 3D print some parts and had a Reprap discount 2004 screen from an old printer so decided to wire up the board and flash it with the latest Prusa firmware. I'm pleased to say it flashed no problems.. :-)

I needed to edit a few 3D parts as the Z motor threaded lengths are about 5mm shorter than the prusa one.. All 3D printed parts are now done, so just waiting on a few more bits now. Oh yeah.. and I renamed it 'Pretend Prusa'

Some photos...  and more to come...

If however you would like to say thanks and help contribute to this site, or just buy me a beer then please donate below. :-)

kingfisher

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 05:25:54 PM
Also look at the bear:

https://github.com/gregsaun/prusa_i3_bear_upgrade

It is what is holding me back from starting my moodlites ;)

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:42:36 PM
Also look at the bear:

https://github.com/gregsaun/prusa_i3_bear_upgrade

It is what is holding me back from starting my moodlites ;)

Hey, yeah I saw the Bear and it works out a similar price I think to the Prusa frame. So I couldn't decided to start with. I ended up going with what I know and can compare it then to my mk3 Prusa I have already. It's handy having one to just look at when needed. Hopefully some bits will arrive within the next couple of weeks now.  I hate waiting.. lol

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:53:01 PM
So another bit came in the post :-) Sadly the M5x16mm button head stainless steel bolts I had delivered last week have gone missing!  I've no idea where I've put them.. so I can't build this bit up yet.  But I have to say the quality seems very good. It even says Prusa on it!

The frame with the extruded aluminium was 75 delivered. :-)

kripo

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 07:08:36 AM
Allow me to introduce my mk3 clone: Drusa  ;D

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:26:50 PM
Drusa.. love it.  Great name :-)  Love the frame as well. Have you got all your bits yet or still collecting?  What board are you going with?

On your X axis ends, did you re-drill the brass nuts?  I remodelled them 2 parts so they fit if you want the STL? 

I managed to buy some bolts today so got as much done as I can.  Just waiting on the x / y pulley and the u bolts for the bearings at the moment... Oh and the filament sensor and PSU. Might be another few weeks yet before it's up and running. Still.. small steps :-)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 02:30:05 PM by CdRsKuLL »

kripo

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 03:47:51 PM
I use the Einsy board and am now already 2 weeks so busy adjusting the drivers on the motors. I'm constantly back and forth configure and calibrate and still have problems to get the stallguard reliable to run. Homing works only with a bit of pushing :D
In addition, I have extrusion problems when the printer accelerates to the full 200mm/s. as a slower maximum I found 160mm/s as a reliable workaround(the printer only accelerates on bigger footprint parts like the moodlite to full speed. on smaller parts i didnt experienced any extrusion problems). maybe i find the mood again to continue to calibrate. I'm almost about to buy the original motors from Prusa if I have no luck calibrating.
I had the nuts filed a little so that the screws fit.
But i like the printer very much now. it was a interesting way from mk2 clone to rebel-x mod updated with original mk2.5 parts from prusa over to total conversion with the wooden self CNCed MK3 frame and the einsyboard. :D

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:28 PM
Oh, I was hoping I could just wire it up and press configure. Maybe not then. I presume your running the tmc2130's?  I know you can get a set of motors from Aliexpress for about 65, not sure how good they are but I'm trying to avoid that.

Still, it's also about the enjoyment of building it. :-) 

What extruder did you buy in the end? I presume looking at the photos your running the bondtech prusa housing?

kripo

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 04:28:30 PM
yes, the problem are solely the stepper motors and you wont find the right ones on aliexpress. prusa uses high impedance motors choosed in cooperation with trinamic. and i also hoped this is PR blabla. but it isnt... for the smart functions like stallguard get them to work without a hassle the only possibility are original stepper motors. you can have luck and get motors from ali which will work a little bit better (homing almost works in my case) then the normal cheap ones.
i love to build these things. with al the spare parts the next project is a second printer with a 0.6 or 1mm noozle for bigger things.
and yes, bondtech it is. i got the original ones an clones from ali. both work. the originals are without so sharp teeth which works better in my opinion.

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 04:51:14 PM
Thanks for the info.. worst case is I'll put some end stops on it and change the firmware maybe, will have to see how it goes. Still, it's a challenge :-) which I like.  How is yours for noise? Have you an original mk3 to compare it to?

kripo

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 05:46:03 PM
no, i dont. but i can say, its crazy silent. my psu got a noisy fan. but when you turn the psu fan of the loudest thing is one of my cheap bearings under the heated bed!!! but i have to say. both fans are original fans from prusa on my build. i was unable to find a 5015 fan with 5v and tacho on aliexpress at that time so i ordered a original and the noctua was with my mk2.5 kit.

kripo

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 06:43:33 PM
Printer Homing...... :(

Printer Printing :D

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 04:48:31 PM
Ahh I see what you mean.  I presume you went through all the calibration to start with? 

I've 'been playing...'  I set my motors up just to see if I was going to be lucky or not.  It seems okay at the moment, but I'm just grabbing hold of the pinion.. its them moving on to the next motor for homing.

I hate waiting for things to arrive.. lol  I could put something temp together maybe.. just for testing :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk