News

moodlite - Coming soon

Power Issue with 14 Panels

Hahaha006 · 1791

Hahaha006

• View Profile
on: April 03, 2020, 01:55:52 PM
Hello,
I'm having some problems with the power supply to my panels. I have installed 14 panels with 9 LEDs (WS2812) each, so I have a total of 126. 5V 2A from my power plug is obviously not enough.
Do you have an idea how I can solve the problem ?

Thanks and Greatings
Hahah006

mannymiller

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:47:56 AM
Hi, 2 amps will never be enough, not even a 10 amp power supply without some form of power drop half way along your setup. it just seems crazy that people are making these with such little amps. its not just the amount of leds you are using, but also the distance between them. here is a video of mine with way less panels
&t=459s . my advice is to find a 5v power supply with as many amps as possible, and run a second power feed to your last panel.

jaspergep

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 12:55:05 PM
I have managed to fix the power drop for the most part by distributing power from the main source to different parts of the LED-chain (15 tiles, witch 3 LED's per corner).
One problem by doing this is that it draws a lot of power, which can heat up the power plug noticably.
I've managed to work around this by not setting it to straight white at full power, just 2/3 brightness at white.

Hahaha006

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 08:35:44 PM
Thanks for the answers  :)

In the meantime I could solve the problem for me.
I have now split the connection after ESP. Now 7 panels are connected to one line and 7 to the other line. Power supply is the same. Now I have mirrored my panels from the animation, but that doesn't bother me ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk