News

moodlite - Coming soon

Errors uploading to NodeMCU

kellogg76 · 1391

kellogg76

• View Profile
on: January 05, 2019, 05:22:16 PM
I've added the libraries as listed on github, but am still running into errors when I try to upload the sketch

Code: [Select]
Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows Store 1.8.19.0) (Windows 10), Board: "NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module), 80 MHz, Flash, Enabled, 4M (no SPIFFS), v2 Lower Memory, Disabled, None, Only Sketch, 115200"

WARNING: library Timezone-master claims to run on (avr) architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on (esp8266) architecture(s).
In file included from C:\Users\Ellie\Downloads\Moodlite-master\Moodlite-master\Arduino\Moodlite\Moodlite.ino:17:0:

C:\Users\Ellie\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/FastLED.h:14:21: note: #pragma message: FastLED version 3.002.001

#    pragma message "FastLED version 3.002.001"

^

In file included from C:\Users\Ellie\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/FastLED.h:65:0,

from C:\Users\Ellie\Downloads\Moodlite-master\Moodlite-master\Arduino\Moodlite\Moodlite.ino:17:

C:\Users\Ellie\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/fastspi.h:110:23: note: #pragma message: No hardware SPI pins defined.  All SPI access will default to bitbanged output

#      pragma message "No hardware SPI pins defined.  All SPI access will default to bitbanged output"

^

Moodlite:118:1: error: expected ',' or ';' before 'byte'

byte beLedBrightness = 15;

^

C:\Users\Ellie\Downloads\Moodlite-master\Moodlite-master\Arduino\Moodlite\Moodlite.ino: In function 'void setup()':

Moodlite:436:25: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

FastLED.setBrightness(beLedBrightness);

^

C:\Users\Ellie\Downloads\Moodlite-master\Moodlite-master\Arduino\Moodlite\Moodlite.ino: In function 'void initEEPROMData()':

Moodlite:614:2: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

beLedBrightness = readByteFromEEPROM(LED_BRIGHTNESS_START);

^

C:\Users\Ellie\Downloads\Moodlite-master\Moodlite-master\Arduino\Moodlite\Moodlite.ino: In function 'void sendLedValues(AsyncWebSocketClient*)':

Moodlite:735:35: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

"\"led_strip_brightness\":" + beLedBrightness + "," +

^

C:\Users\Ellie\Downloads\Moodlite-master\Moodlite-master\Arduino\Moodlite\Moodlite.ino: In function 'void updateValue(String)':

Moodlite:832:4: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

^

Moodlite:836:4: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

beLedBrightness = 0;

^

Moodlite:839:26: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

^

Moodlite:868:22: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

writeByteToEEPROM(beLedBrightness, LED_BRIGHTNESS_START);

^

Moodlite:916:4: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

beLedBrightness = value.toInt();

^

C:\Users\Ellie\Downloads\Moodlite-master\Moodlite-master\Arduino\Moodlite\Moodlite.ino: In function 'boolean checkDisplay()':

Moodlite:1301:4: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

^

Moodlite:1306:3: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

beLedBrightness = 0;

^

Moodlite:1310:24: error: 'beLedBrightness' was not declared in this scope

^

exit status 1
expected ',' or ';' before 'byte'

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

The first error about Timezone-master I think is just a warning and nothing to worry about, but there seems to be quite a few more, anyone have any advice?

spigot

• Global Moderator
  • There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 06:34:41 PM
You need to change NodeMCU configuration, to use SPIFFS. You are using without SPIFFS (look at: "4M (no SPIFFS)")
-> Check Wiki (https://github.com/spigotx/Moodlite/wiki). Check the "Upload SPIFFS data" part of wiki. There's picture how to set NodeMCU configuration correctly.

You are missing "'beLedBrightness" variable. Did you change anything in the code?

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 06:48:55 PM
You need to change NodeMCU configuration, to use SPIFFS. You are using without SPIFFS (look at: "4M (no SPIFFS)")
-> Check Wiki (https://github.com/spigotx/Moodlite/wiki). Check the "Upload SPIFFS data" part of wiki. There's picture how to set NodeMCU configuration correctly.

Do you have to use "SPIFFS"?  I just setup a test and flashed using 'Flash Size: "4M (no SPIFFS)" and it seemed to upload and works as best I can tell.  I'm totally new to this so I didn't know what this was or if I had to change it so I left it set to the default.

tnx

spigot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 06:53:03 PM
And how do you select a pattern or other things without web interface?

kellogg76

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 12:57:33 AM

You are missing "'beLedBrightness" variable. Did you change anything in the code?

Thanks for the SPIFFS info, that error seems to have disappeared, but i'm still getting one more.

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows Store 1.8.19.0) (Windows 10), Board: "NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module), 80 MHz, Flash, Enabled, 4M (1M SPIFFS), v2 Lower Memory, Disabled, None, Only Sketch, 115200"

FindFirstFile C:\Users\Ellie\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_229920: The system cannot find the file specified.

Error compiling for board NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:10:20 AM by kellogg76 »

spigot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 07:39:24 AM
It looks like it's missing some cache file? It should have nothing to do with code it self. It looks like Arduino sw "problem" or anything else. Try closing all Arduino IDE windows and then start the Arduino IDE again. That should clear the cache, and hopefully fix the problem.

kellogg76

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:49:19 PM
It looks like it's missing some cache file? It should have nothing to do with code it self. It looks like Arduino sw "problem" or anything else. Try closing all Arduino IDE windows and then start the Arduino IDE again. That should clear the cache, and hopefully fix the problem.

After rebooting, and successfully uploading the SPIFFS data, i'm now still getting the following warning, but it does at least upload the sketch, but the device is not seen when I go to 192.168.100.250

WARNING: library Timezone-master claims to run on (avr) architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on (esp8266) architecture(s).
In file included from C:\Users\Mat\Documents\Arduino\Moodlite\Moodlite.ino:21:0:

C:\Users\Mat\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/FastLED.h:14:21: note: #pragma message: FastLED version 3.002.001

#    pragma message "FastLED version 3.002.001"

^

In file included from C:\Users\Mat\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/FastLED.h:65:0,

from C:\Users\Mat\Documents\Arduino\Moodlite\Moodlite.ino:21:

C:\Users\Mat\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FastLED/fastspi.h:110:23: note: #pragma message: No hardware SPI pins defined.  All SPI access will default to bitbanged output

#      pragma message "No hardware SPI pins defined.  All SPI access will default to bitbanged output"

^

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 06:24:34 AM
Did you connect your device (smart phone, laptop or whatever) to the WiFi of the Moodlite?

kellogg76

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 09:07:27 PM
Did you connect your device (smart phone, laptop or whatever) to the WiFi of the Moodlite?

I have, it's asking for a password. I've read the wiki a couple of times now and I don't see the password listed anywhere? I tried my WiFi password and that's not it.

I like to think I'm relatively tech savvy, so for anyone who isn't the instructions must be near impossible to follow.

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 09:18:25 PM
The default password is Moodlite

kellogg76

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 09:44:43 PM
The default password is Moodlite

Ha, thanks.

I'm connected but no page is served as the server keeps stopping responding. I'll keep trying, and see if I can eventually get through.

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 09:47:59 PM
Maybe the NodeMCU is in bootloop.
Have a look at the Serial Monitor in Arduino IDE while the NodeMCU is connected via USB. There you can see what the NodeMCU is doing.

Did you do the Sketch Data Upload? That is essential for having a page displayed in the browser.

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 09:59:10 PM
Have a look at the Serial Monitor in Arduino IDE while the NodeMCU is connected via USB. There you can see what the NodeMCU is doing.

Serial Monitor is your friend!  :)

kellogg76

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 09:59:35 PM

Did you do the Sketch Data Upload? That is essential for having a page displayed in the browser.

I don't see anything at all in the serial window.
I've tried uploading the sketch then the Data Upload and the other way around, but no luck.

I'm starting to think the board might be a bit iffy.

LordVader

• moodlite Developer
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 10:06:12 PM
Never had any iffy NodeMCU's till today. And I have some of those little guys here at my home for various applications.

Try switching the baud rate in the serial monitor and press reset on the NodeMCU.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk