on: December 29, 2018, 04:45:47 PM
And we're off!

HatchBox PLA, 1.75mm, Pure White

Ender 3, Cura Slicer
  • .15 mm layer
  • 10% Infill
  • Nozzle 200*, Bed 60*
  • Speed 40 mm/s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12/29/18
4 Hrs 32 Mins, and what happens when you print something in black right before a white print.

So it appears there is a change in the way Cura slices the Tile Top file from layer 24-37, and it's causing an artifact to be printed in the outmost part of the layer. Still trying to narrow down why, and how to fix it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 02:55:33 AM by LBC970 »

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 09:00:32 AM
Morning,

If you have a look at cheesiosaur build log he's using a setting in Cura called concentric for his layers, this might solve your problem. Not sure if you are already using this or not?   I'm giving it a go but in Prusa Slic3r at the moment. It goes round and around instead of zagging across.

Steve

Moodlite is a completely free open source project.
If however you would like to say thanks and help contribute to this site, or just buy me a beer then please donate below. :-)

cheesiosaur

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:12:58 AM
You may want to try turning off combing, I think it's on in Cura by default. With shapes similar to this where upper layers are effectively large rings (round or not) the travel movements across from spot to spot between layers can cause some artifacting of sorts if it doesn't retract the same way it does for your normal movements. This results in stringing that you don't actually see because it's inside the wall. I turn off combing and it fixes this by retracting rather than trying to travel inside of the wall. Let me know if that helps!

LBC970

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 07:24:54 PM
I've not found a setting for concentric anything in Cura, I will look into combing.

My problem isn't stringing or anything, it appears to be that Cura is reducing feed rate for the outer layer for those particular layers. I can see the issue in Cura when I am in layer view, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's doing it, or how to fix it. I tried to move to Slic3r, but I have never had any luck with that software. All the same machine settings as in Cura, but it doesn't print worth a crap. To be honest, I gave up after finding out how well Cura worked for me.

Here is what I am getting, and only on one side.

I also tried to randomize the start points hoping it was something to do with the end of the layer, and it seems to have spread the problem around all three corners. There doesn't appear to be any loss of part strength in either case, but the final product of the original method looks better. Or at least I can hide it consistently.

I have also put the part into Netfabb in hopes of finding an error, but nothing. It seems to be a pretty solid design. In addition to Netfabb, I ran it through Meshmixer to see if I could spot anything weird, nothing so far. Until I can get the settings in Slic3r dialed in, I have to assume it's a Cura thing.

I'd be open to trying another slicer software if you guys have a favorite.

cheesiosaur

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:05:13 PM
Turning combing off should fix that but if it doesn't, I'll glance through other settings to see if I can point to anything else that may help.

LBC970

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 08:17:58 PM
Turning combing off should fix that but if it doesn't, I'll glance through other settings to see if I can point to anything else that may help.

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a shot on the next piece.

LBC970

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 04:34:19 AM
Definitely the most interesting part I have printed so far...

EDIT: Ohhhhhh wow, I am an idiot. Ha. I wondered why it went from 7 hours to 3.5, it's missing half the part. HA

EDIT 2: Time for bed...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:45:46 AM by LBC970 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk