News

moodlite - Coming soon

Small size for smaller printers (66%)

moonwiz · 687

moonwiz

• View Profile
on: January 06, 2019, 11:20:57 PM
Hi everybody!
I love this project and have already ordered the components I need to build it, the only problem I had was a smaller printer (the flashforge finder). I downloaded the designs here and made a smaller version of it  while still keeping the measurement for cable management and such (at least i hope so ;) ). Uploading the stl:s if anyone else have the same problem, one version for singular led in the corners and one for two/multiple leds, only the bottom though since you can just scale the top to 66% without problems. Please let me know if you find any errors in these, worked fine to print here but you never know if I just got lucky =).
Thanks for this being open sourced and all of the helpful build logs and posts here!

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 08:37:01 AM
Morning,

If you can let me know if this works.. also would you mind if I include them in the next release?   

Will need to adopt the power supply unit to match but one step at a time :-)

Great work,

Steve

Moodlite is a completely free open source project.
If however you would like to say thanks and help contribute to this site, or just buy me a beer then please donate below. :-)

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:57:16 AM
I'll upload an image as soon as it's done in the printer, but I haven't recieved the leds and other components (long shipping to where I live, expect at least two weeks from now =/ ).
Edited the power box and it should work, though it may be a bit snug ;). I'll print these today and update with images, though once again without the components.
If they work and they're good enough I'd love it if you want to include them, my intention when posting them here was just to let anyone else looking for a smaller version find them but that would make it even easier for them =). Though I wouldn't say these are 100% done, some differences in wall thickness on the sides are still there, but they might be a good beta atleast ;)

(edit: discovered an edge I forgot to remove in one of the stls)

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:13:38 PM
The bottom printed fine, though I might add a bit more in the layer above the servo cable (on the side of the tile) since one of them broke off while removing the support. I'm currently printing the power box, will upload images as that one is done later today.

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 01:14:47 PM
More pictures

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:18:31 PM
Printed the powerbox too, fits and is really snug when mounted, nearly didn't get them apart again =).

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 07:34:13 PM
Superb job :-) They look awesome. 

I might do a smaller set for above my desk, or above my TV :-)

Let me know when you're happy with them and I'll do another release..

Thanks,

Steve

If however you would like to say thanks and help contribute to this site, or just buy me a beer then please donate below. :-)

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 05:51:25 AM
Thanks =)

Got held up at work yesterday so didn't have time to fix the issues I wanted but I'll make sure to get a new version up asap.

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 10:30:36 PM
Added 1.4mm thickness to the bottom of the bottom tile, will print one tomorrow and update with images. This should make it less prone to breaking when removing the supports without making a too big of an impact to the overall size..

CdRsKuLL

• The Fat Dude
  • Administrator
  • Lighting the way...
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 10:49:45 PM
I don't print with any supports, you shouldn't really need them at all. 

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 11:24:03 PM
I have to test without support, might still add 0.4 just to have a 1mm above the servo end =). Will print tomorrow and update.

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 09:51:33 PM
Added the 0.4mm thicker bottom to get 1mm over the servo, didn't break when removing from plate and feels sturdier.
Though on smaller printers it might be good to add support, either that or my settings might be to blame here =/, but the bottom clearly looked better on the ones with support (see images).
I feel that this might be the version to go for, at least in my opinion, please let me know if you find anything to correct on this =)

galorin

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 05:09:03 PM
I'm looking to do this as well, have you got IGS or STEP files since there are some further edits I would like to do?

Steve7121282

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 02:11:40 AM
Hi, i'm new here and my printer can only do 125mm x 125mm i was wondering if i scale it down to 63% if it could still work? i mean the NodeMCU will need to go in the power box but will not fit i guess?

moonwiz

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 10:23:01 AM
Attached my .step file compressed due to file size.

@galorin : Included the step file, can't say it's not a butcher job but I hope it might get you somewhere =). Haven't tried it yest (I'm at work and just exported it from fusion 360) but if there's anything else I can do please reach out.

@Steve7121282 : I would not recommend this approach, the holes and channels are made to fit the cables and servo parts that are listed in the guides, if you just make it smaller these will not fit anymore. If you've used any 3d software feel free to edit the attached step file to make a smaller version and let me know if you have any questions =).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk