News

moodlite - Coming soon

Tight Pattern RGB/W strip

SuperDave42 · 746

SuperDave42

• View Profile
on: January 20, 2019, 04:11:57 AM
I just ordered this strip,  figured it's as close as I can easily get to the NanoLeaf setup
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0MA316/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bratag

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 06:39:13 AM
I actually have this strip but you are going to need some pretty fine soldering to use it. The leds are so close the terminals are tiny

NotionalLabs

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:02:25 AM
I have this strip too - the fine pitch soldering is tricky but not impossible, but be aware that if you're using a stock v2 moodlite model, the LED strip is slightly too wide (by about 1mm) so you'll need to carefully trim it.

SuperDave42

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 05:10:16 PM
I have this strip too - the fine pitch soldering is tricky but not impossible, but be aware that if you're using a stock v2 moodlite model, the LED strip is slightly too wide (by about 1mm) so you'll need to carefully trim it.

Thanks for the advice.   already started modelling in solidworks a ground up version.  I'm going to emulate as much as the original design as possible and only print the base.

NotionalLabs

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 05:38:29 PM

Thanks for the advice.   already started modelling in solidworks a ground up version.  I'm going to emulate as much as the original design as possible and only print the base.

Epic - I'll look forward to trying it out! To reference the thread topic, one thing I'm very curious about is the effect and advantages of the RGB LED + pure white LED arrangement of the original. I don't necessary think it's essential to the experience, but one of the key reasons I also opted for a higher density RGB strip was because I really think we'll benefit from the brightness and colour saturation of 9 vs 3 LEDs per tile. I assume the white LEDs in the Nanoleaf boost the perceived brightness of the tiles tremendously.

shfaxx

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:10:26 AM

Epic - I'll look forward to trying it out! To reference the thread topic, one thing I'm very curious about is the effect and advantages of the RGB LED + pure white LED arrangement of the original. I don't necessary think it's essential to the experience, but one of the key reasons I also opted for a higher density RGB strip was because I really think we'll benefit from the brightness and colour saturation of 9 vs 3 LEDs per tile. I assume the white LEDs in the Nanoleaf boost the perceived brightness of the tiles tremendously.

Iím doing nine leds per panel with the standard size leds. You guys should be able to be even more.  Will be interested in seeing your results.  The 9 standard leds is much better than the 3.

MrLaFave

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:24 PM

Hey SuperDave, I also have a strip of 144/m LEDs I'm trying to build mine with. Have you made any progress on a design specific to these strips?
Also do anyone else that may have used the 144/m strips. What did you use to cut the strips, I'm having difficulty cutting them so I can have enough contact to solder onto both sides.

SuperDave42

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 10:23:00 PM

Hey SuperDave, I also have a strip of 144/m LEDs I'm trying to build mine with. Have you made any progress on a design specific to these strips?
Also do anyone else that may have used the 144/m strips. What did you use to cut the strips, I'm having difficulty cutting them so I can have enough contact to solder onto both sides.

I posted a link to my files in the thread " Best Diffuision"
I used kitchen/cooking scissors to easily cut the strip.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk